8th grade English Language Arts/Honors and College Prep
Welcome to my class!!!! I look forward to working with you. I have a few expectations that are outlined below:
- I expect the best!
- I expect you to give 100%!
- FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!
- NO talking without permission
- NO horseplaying
- NO beating on tables, desk, chairs or walls
- Raise your hand before speaking
- Be respectful to staff and peers
- Challenge your mind and complete your assignments
- NO gang-related activities such as walking, talking, stacking, tagging or flagging
- Keep your hands and feet to yourself
- Do not touch anything on the teacher’s desk or your peers’ desk without permission
FAILURE TO FOLLOW THESE EXPECTATIONS WILL LEAD TO:
- Non-verbal warning (yellow cone)
- Verbal warning (orange card)
- Student-teacher conference (parents contacted)
- Office referral (last resort) hopefully we can resolve any issue before we get to number 4.
OBJECTIVES: 8th grade standards
CLASSROOM ROUTINE AND PROCEDURES
- Enter into the classroom quietly
- Once seated COMPLETE BELLWORK ASSIGNMENT PROJECTED ON THE WHITEBOARD
- Work quietly while the teacher checks the roll and collect homework assignments.
REVIEW HOMEWORK FROM THE DAY BEFORE!!!
- TEACHER ADDRESSES THE ESSENTIAL QUESTION-(HOOK) CLASS DISCUSSION ON CONCEPT AND THE REASON WHY THE CONCEPT IS BEING TAUGHT- ALLOW STUDENTS TO DRAW UPON PRIOR KNOWLEDGE TO MAKE CONCEPT RELEVANT TO TODAY’S SOCIETY! (5 MINUTES)
- INSTRUCTIONAL TIME (15 MINUTES) and modeling
- GUIDED PRACTICE (10 minutes)
- CHECK FOR UNDERSTANDING (5 MINUTES)
- CLOSURE (2 MINUTES)
- SHORT LISTENING SKILLS BREAK (2 MINUTES)
- INDEPENDENT PRACTICE 10 MINUTES OR DIVIDED INTO COOPERATIVE LEARNING GROUPS)
- EXIT TICKETS (6 MINUTES) BEFORE CLASS IS DISMISSED
CLASSROOM DISMISSAL PROCEDURE
Please remain seated until teacher dismisses class by groups/colors!
COURSE REQUIREMENTS AND GRADING POLICY:
ALL MISSING ASSIGNMENTS WILL BE PLACED IN A FOLDER. THIS FOLDER IS ATTACHED DIRECTLY TO THE CLASSROOM DOOR. 😊YOUR NAME WILL BE ON YOUR PAPER😊
If you cannot complete an assignment or a class project, please…please…Notify me ASAP in writing!
MINUS 10 POINTS PER DAY FOR ALL LATE ASSIGNMENTS
YOU WILL LOSE 10 POINTS OFF YOUR ASSIGNMENT IF YOU DO THE FOLLOWING:
- DRAW ON YOUR PAPER
- TURN IN A PAPER WITHOUT A NAME
- TURN IN A PAPER WITH THE NOTEBOOK HOLES RIPPED OUT/ TAPE WILL BE PROVIDED IF YOU RIP THE HOLES BY ACCIDENT (YOUR HOMEWORK REPRESENT YOU)
- IF YOU DRAW MORE THAN ONE LINE THROUGH A MISTAKE (I WILL HAVE WHITEOUT IF NEEDED) OK
This will be one of the best years ever!!!!!